- Design computation
- Design problem solving and decision making
- Parametric and configurable modeling
- Requirements management
- Visual analytics
- Software design and development
- Academic apprenticeship in teaching
Detailed Research and Teaching Interests:
- Designing with complex requirements.
- Managing design information by means of intelligent digital-objects.
- Exploring models for and methodological approaches to the problem solving aspects of design cognition.
- Exploring the cognitive activities occurring during design problem specification and their evolution throughout the design.
- Exploring the role of symbolic design representation and manipulation media in design-problem transformation from ill- to well-defined states.
- Using design cognition models to develop interactive computational-design system architectures and algorithms for complex design domains.
- Modeling polymorphic design requirement specifications and their transformations.
- Employing user-centered human-computer interaction paradigms in generative computational design tools.
- Designing interactive systems to build knowledge repositories for design computation.
- Measuring the usability of interactive and generative computational design systems.
- Improving and implementing `Academic Apprenticeship Model' in design teaching
- Adapting active and cooperative learning methods with digital-instruction approach
- Using innovative software engineering methods and strategic knowledge in teaching design computation and conducting design research
Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA.
Ph.D. in Computational Design, December 2003
Dissertation Topic: Interactive Computational Support for Modeling and Generating Design Requirements.
Committee: Ulrich Flemming, Ph.D., Ömer Akin, Ph.D., John R. Hayes, Ph.D.
Clemson University, Clemson, SC.
Master of Construction Science and Management, May 1996
Thesis Topic: Three-dimensional computational modeling and integration as an alternative communication medium between different A/E/C disciplines.
Mimar Sinan University, Istanbul, Turkey.
Master of Architecture, November 1993
Completed course work.
Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey.
Bachelor of Architecture, June 1991
Final Project: A modern art center in downtown Ankara. Honor student.